Metabolic & Telemetric Treadmill
Allows each animal to exercise within an isolated space. An exercise belt, associated pulleys and optional stimuli are enclosed in a compartment which can be made air-tight
NEW Telemetry Option: Our Oxymax and Metabolic Treadmill have long been the gold standard for measuring VO2 max in mice and rats. But telemetric measurements have always proved difficult on a treadmill. Static and motor electrical-noise have always interfered with the signal. But we have recently developed a special antenna for our treadmill that produces a clear signal for core body temperature and heart rate.
Columbus Instruments' Modular Treadmill encloses each animal within an isolated space. An exercise belt, associated pulleys, and optional stimuli are enclosed in a compartment which can be made air-tight. The addition of an open-flow calorimeter to the compartment will create a complete system for the measurement of respiratory metabolic performance while exercising. A Modular Treadmill system is constructed of master and slave units. A master unit incorporates an electric motor and speed controller to which one to seven additional slave units can be connected for exercising multiple animals. The incline of each animal compartment is individually adjustable in 5° increments. Electrical stimulus grids are available for each exercise lane and can be activated manually by the operator. The intensity of electrical shock is also operator adjustable from 0.35mA to 1.5mA. LED lamps indicate which electrical stimulus grid is active.
A standard animal compartment is offered with air ventilation holes and a fan to promote air movement. Optionally, an animal compartment may be enclosed with air-tight seals (metabolic option) for measuring oxygen consumption during animal exercise by way of an attached calorimeter. Columbus Instruments offers a wide range of open-circuit calorimeters for this purpose. See Oxymax and Eco-Oxymax product lines for details of systems for the measurement of VO2 and VCO2.
The XL Modular Treadmill features an elongated running compartment based on the design of the rat Modular Treadmill. Its designed to accommodate larger rats (or other species of similar size) but also retain the ability to run slightly smaller subjects with a specially designed collapsible wall to narrow the running lane and prevent the smaller subjects from turning around.
- Running Area Length: 24"
- Running Area Width: Adjustable between 3" and 5.25"
- Height (from running surface to ceiling): 5.28"
Here is a brief video of one of our customers, Graduate Research Associate from The Ohio State University, Jennifer Petrosino, describing how she uses the Oxymax and Metabolic Treadmill in her research on fat deposits around the heart:
Features / Specifications
- One to four isolated lane compartments
- Lane compartments may be made air-tight (optional)
- Can be used to measure animal oxygen consumption during exercise.
- Easily cleaned and maintained
- Adjustable shock intensity
- Overall Size: 29"L x 27"W x 17.5"H (736mm x 685mm x 444mm)
- Rats- 21.5"L x 5.5"W x 8"W (546mm x 139mm x 203mm)
- Mice-15.1"L x 2"W x 4"H (384mm x 51mm x 102mm)
Exercise Lane Dimensions:
- Rats- 15"L x 5.5"W x 5"H (381mm x 139mm x 127mm)
- Mice-12"L x 2"W x 1.75"H (305mm x 51mm x 44mm)
Stimulus Area per lane:
- Rats- 5.5" x 3.5"(139mm x 89mm)
- Mice-2" x 2" (139mm x 51mm)
- Stimulus Current Maximum: 1.5 mA continuously variable
- Stimulus Voltage Maximum: 163 V
- Tread Speed: 6 to 99.9 m/m, continuously variable
- Tread Inclination: -10° to +25° in 5° steps
- NEW Automated Inclination option available
Metabolic Treadmills for Mice
- 0195-8001 Modular Mouse, Shock
- 0195-8101 Modular Mouse, Platform
- 0195-8201 Modular Mouse, Telemetry
Lane Add-On Kit
- 0195-8300 Lane Add-on, Modular Mouse, Shock
- 0195-8400 Lane Add-on, Modular Mouse, Platform
- 0195-8500 Lane Add-on, Modular Mouse, Telemetry
- 0291-8101 Modular Mouse, 1-2 Lane, Auto Incline Kit
- 0291-8111 Telemetry Mouse, 1-2 Lane, Auto Incline Kit
- 0291-8151 Modular Mouse, 3-4 Lane, Auto Incline Kit
- 0291-8161 Telemetry Mouse, 3-4 Lane, Auto Incline Kit
- 0195-8000 Treadmill Stimulus Detection Kit
Metabolic Treadmills for Rats
- 0184-8001 Modular Rat, Shock
- 0184-8051 Modular Rat XL, Shock
- 0184-8101 Modular Rat, Platform
- 0184-8151 Modular Rat XL, Platform
- 0184-8201 Modular Rat, Shock and Telemetry
- 0184-8251 Modular Rat XL, Shock and Telemetry
Lane Add-On Kit
- 0184-8300 Lane Add-on, Modular Rat, Shock
- 0184-8350 Lane Add-on, Modular Rat XL, Shock
- 0184-8400 Lane Add-on, Modular Rat, Platform
- 0184-8450 Lane Add-on, Modular Rat XL, Platform
- 0184-8500 Lane Add-on, Modular Rat, Shock and Telemetry
- 0184-8550 Lane Add-on, Modular Rat XL, Shock and Telemetry
- 0291-8100 Modular Rat, 1-2 Lane, Auto Incline Kit
- 0291-8110 Telemetry Rat, 1-2 Lane, Auto Incline Kit
- 0291-8150 Modular Rat, 3-4 Lane, Auto Incline Kit
- 0291-8160 Telemetry Rat, 3-4 Lane, Auto Incline Kit
- 0184-8000 Treadmill Stimulus Detection Kit
Papers coming soon, presently in peer review.
Contact us for ordering
Metabolic & Telemetric Treadmill