Columbus Instruments' implementation of the classic rotating rod enhanced with features that assist monitoring and recording animal performance. Up to four animals may be simultaneously tested for their ability to maintain themselves upright on a rotating rod. Animals are placed on a spindle within a lane sized to the subject under test. The operator may select accelerating or constant speed mode of operation as well as a slow speed waiting mode before acceleration takes place. Speed and acceleration rate are programmable. An animal fall is detected by infrared photo-cells which cross the space just above the spindle. Once all the photocells loose sight of the animal, the time is recorded.
There are two diameters of easily interchanged rotating rods; one for mice and another for rats (see specs below for measurements). Rotamex-5 can communicate with computers when equipped with RS-232 Output option with Software: Software allows additional functions of the rota-rod. Programmed intervals for speed changes, even spinning direction, can be programmed into a specific protocol of the users design. With the photocells at the top, rather than the bottom, looping behavior can also be monitored; length of trial and number of loops. Data generated is in a CSV format to be easily opened by most statistical analysis programs.
Features / Specifications
- Number of Exercise Lanes: 4
- Rotarod Spindle Speed Range: 0 - 99.9 RPM
- Acceleration Increments: 0.1 RPM per second. to 20.0 RPM per second
- Mouse Spindle Dimensions: 3.0 cm x 9.5 cm
- Rat Spindle Dimensions: 7.0 cm x 9.5 cm
- Fall height From Rod center: 44.5 cm
- Unit Dimensions(LxWxH): 61cm X 56cm X 77cm
- Weight 27.5 kg
- Data Recorded: Running duration, Rotarod speed at time of fall, distance traveled
- Animal Detection Method: Scanning infrared beam(32) sensors monitor animals absence from rod assembly.
- Power Connections: 100 Vac to 240 Vac @ 50-60 Hz Auto configurable.
- Power Consumption: 70 Watts
- Fuse size: 3 amp slow blow
- Communication (optional): RS-232 to RS422(CIBUS) Multi drop. (Max of 64 devices)
- 0254-8000 Rotamex-5 4 Lane Rota-Rod for Mice with USB and Software
- 0254-8001 Rotamex-5 4 Lane Rota-Rod for Rats with USB and Software
- 0254-8002 Rotamex-5 4 Door Lid Assembly
- 0254-8003 Rotamex-5 4 Lane Rota-Rod 6" (15.2cm) extended height option
- 0254-5001 Mouse Spindle Assembly
- 0254-5002 Rat Spindle Assembly
Papers coming soon, presently in peer review.
Contact us for ordering